Angola Kid's League Baseball
Age Requirements and 2019 Rules
Divisions Age Group Find Rules Down Page Rookie League Ages 7 & 8 Rookie Rules Minor League Ages 9 & 10 Baseball Rules Major League Ages 11 to 12 Senior League Ages 13 to 15
Note--Age as of April 30, 2019
Rookie Baseball Rules
1. Age: 7 & 8 year old boys.
The pitching machine concept will continue to be used. The way a game is played is structured to keep more players involved with baseball. We hope this concept will help the players learn more about the sport and feel like they are in actual game situations.
2. Player Roster: A 12-man roster (when possible) will be used.
All players will be in the batting order. A game can be played with as few as 7 players.
A. A fourth outfielder and fifth infielder will be placed on the field defensively.
B. A player is placed on either side of the pitching machine assuming the defensive position of the pitcher. The player(s) in this position must have both feet inside the pitching circle until the ball crosses the plate. PENALTY shall be the pitch is called a No-Pitch.
C. The catcher takes his normal position.
D. All four outfielders must be on the outfield grass.
E. All batters must wear batting helmet with approved face guard.
This now means 11 players have been placed on the field defensively. The extra 12th player is in the batting order and will be placed in the field defensively after the first inning. With each new inning the team coach must rotate the extra player in the field and a new player sits on the bench for the next half inning. No player is permitted to sit on the bench more than half an inning unless a special situation warrants such (injury or illness). At this level it is important players actively participate every moment and not waste time sitting on the bench growing bored.
3. Game Length: Six innings or one hour and thirty minutes. No new inning will start after the time limit. If the game is tied it will remain tied. Standings will be based on a point system. Two points will be awarded for a win and one point will be awarded to each team with a tie. If two teams have the same point total at the end of the season the tie will be broken by the results of their head-to-head meeting. In the unlikely event the two teams still remain tied, the total number of runs scored for the season will be determining factor and after that a coin toss.
4. Field Dimension: Standard youth base lengths of 60 feet; the pitching machine will be set at 40 feet.
5. Umpires: Only one umpire is necessary since calling of balls and strikes is eliminated. The umpire will be positioned behind the catcher. A 3rd coach or parent volunteer will feed the pitching machine this person must have a background check. The person feeding the machine must be quiet during the play. A scorekeeper will be used to help keep track of the bating order and the score. This will enable us to be able to keep track of the standings.
6. Playing Rules: Normal youth baseball rules will apply with the following exceptions:
A. Absolutely no stealing of any base.
B. Each batter will receive a maximum of five pitches. If the ball has not been hit into fair territory, the batter will then be called out. However, if the batter hits a foul ball on the last pitch they shall not be out unless the ball is caught.
C. Five runs per inning will be allowed to score.
D. Infield Fly Rule will not be used.
E. On an infield hit where the ball does not reach the outfield grass the batter and base runner(s) shall be permitted to advance only 1 base. When the batted ball reaches the outfield grass, the ball, must be returned to the infield and controlled by a player before the runner is forced to stop at the next base touched but may still be thrown out on the throw.
F. If a batted ball makes contact with the pitching machine or sandbags it is considered a dead ball and the batter will be awarded 1 base. Any base runner (s) that is forced to advance by the batter being awarded a base shall advance 1 base.
7. Schedule: The Board shall supply the game schedule to all coaches prior to the start of the season.
A. Home team is listed first on the schedule.
B. All rained out games will be rescheduled by the Board depending upon availability of the field.
*****PARENTS AND COACHES*****
It is imperative that you as parents and coaches remember this is still a game for the kids to have fun and learn about the sport. We hope all adults will act like adults and will adhere to all the rules of baseball and maintain a low key and a relaxed atmosphere. Let the kids have fun and just play the game.
COACHES: SHIRT SIZES ARE ON YOUR ROSTER PLEASE MAKE SURE KIDS GET THE SIZE OF SHIRT THEY ORDERED.
BASEBALL RULES AS OUTLINED IN THE 2019 BABE RUTH RULE BOOK WILL BE FOLLOWED WITH THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS:
1. The following age:
Minor Boys League 9 & 10
Major Boys League 11 & 12
Senior Boys League 13-14-15
2. Schedules will be provided by the board.
3. No player may change teams after the draft is over.
4. A player must attend 50% of the practices to play in a game. (Senior Boys League varsity and JV players are exempt)
5. Every player will play 6 defensive outs and 1 at bat. (Senior Boys League will play 9 defensive outs and 1 at bat)
Major Boys & Senior Boys teams shall have the option to use the Extra hitter (EH). The EH must be declared at the start of the game and cannot be eliminated during the game.
Minor Boys League: every player will be in the batting order. They will have free defensive substitutions with exception of the pitcher.
Major Boys League: The coach shall have the option to use roster batting. If Roster batting is used the coach must declare it before the game starts.
6. Rule 1.04 Major league infield shall have 60’ base paths and a pitching distance of 46’. Senior league infield shall have 80’ base paths and a pitching distance of 54’.
7. Rule 1.11 All players shall wear uniforms supplied by the league. A player may not deface or alter the uniform in any way or he will not be permitted to play in a game until repairs are made.
All shirttails shall be tucked in.
Cast may be worn with proper covering, doctor’s written release turned into a board member 24hrs. before the scheduled game.
No pitcher shall wear sweatbands or batting gloves or white long sleeve shirt.
8. Rule 1.16 (a) All players must use helmets that have approved face guards.
(e) No batboys/girls will be permitted.
9. Rule 3.03 A player in the starting line-up may re-enter the game once at same position or lower in the batting order after he has sat out 1 complete inning.
10. Rule 3.10(a) Should read; the league shall be sole judge as to whether a game shall start because of unsuitable weather conditions or the unfit condition of the playing field.
(c) Umpire shall consult with a board member.
11. Rule 3.17 10. Rule 3.17 When on defense only 1 coach is permitted to be out of the dugout and that coach must remain at the door end of the dugout staying behind an imaginary line from the front corner parallel to the foul line.
12. Rule 4.01 (a) (b) The scorebook of the home team is declared the official book. The Home Team coach is responsible to fill out and turn the Game Score Sheet in as soon as the game is over. Coaches must exchange lineups prior to the start of the game and report all changes during the game to the opposing coach. .
13. Rule 4.07 When a player or coach is ejected from a game, the player may sit in the stands but must remain silent, and the coach must go to his car. If a player or coach is ejected from a game they shall be suspended from the next game, in which their team participates, which means a player may sit in the stands and remain silent, but the coach shall be suspended from the park for that game.
14. Rule 4.09 An inning will end after a team has 3 outs or 10 runs in that inning. Minor Boys League is 5 runs in an inning. Nothing will be taken away from the last batter. If the 5th or 10th run in an inning is scored on a base on balls or a hit batter the inning is over immediately.
15. Rule 4.10 No Game. If a game has 1 complete inning played and the game is suspended it will be treated as a suspended game and will be rescheduled to start from that point.
16. Rule 4.12 (a) (2) No new inning will start after 2hrs. (Senior Boy’s 2hrs. 30 mins.) In the event of a tie the league director or a board member shall decide how many extra innings to play. No new inning will start after 10:30 PM. The umpire shall confer with any board member on tie games.
(b) Suspended games will be rescheduled by the board.
17. Rule 4.19 The coach who is protesting a game must present a letter to the league president within 24 hrs.
18. Bat throwing, when the batter throws the bat:
(1) First offense for each team will result in a team warning.
(2) Second offense the batter will be called out, the ball will remain alive and runners may advance at their own risk.
19. Rule 7.00 Runner must slide to avoid contact with a fielder at any base except first base. A runner is out when he slides head first while moving forward.
20. Minor Boys Only: A base runner shall be allowed to steal 1 base when the ball crosses the plate. Once a play is dead, the runner on third base will be able to score only if there is a:
(1) Batted Ball
(2) Walked batter with bases loaded
(3) Batter hit by pitched ball with bases loaded
(4) If a play is made on the runner at third base
(Note: #2, 3, 4 under no circumstance will another runner be able to advance more than 1 base)
Major Boys: A base runner shall be allowed to steal on the release of the pitch.
21. Rule 8.00 Minor Boys and Major Boys Leagues pitchers will be given warnings on balks, if balk is excessive or flagrant a balk maybe called according to the rules in the book at the umpire’s discretion.
22. Rule 8.03 At the start of the game or when a new pitcher enters the game they shall be allowed 5 warm up pitches, no more than one minute may be used. Between innings the returning pitcher shall be allowed 3 warm up pitches, no more than one minute may be used.
23. Rule 8.06 A player once removed, as a pitcher may not pitch again in the same game. On the second trip in an inning or third trip of the game the pitcher must be removed.
Minor Boys & Major Boys Leagues a pitcher may pitch a max of 3 innings per game 6 innings per week. Senior Boys League a pitcher may pitch a max of 4 innings per game 7 innings per week. Along with innings pitched the rest period will be based on a pitch count as described on page 26 of the 2019 Babe Ruth rule book. Coaches are responsible for the pitch count and the home team is the official coiunt.
24. A pitcher in the Minor League who hits 4 batters in any 1 game must be removed as a pitcher in that game.
25. All teams will field 9 players but may start and play with 7 players. Minor Boys League shall field 10 players, but the 10th player must be an outfielder, but may start and play with 7.
(1) All four outfielders must be on the outfield grass until the pitched ball has crossed the plate.
26. ABSOLUTELY NO HITTING OF BASEBALLS AGAINST ANY FENCE EXCEPT THE ONE, WHICH IS DESIGNED FOR IT, WHICH IS LOCATED BEHIND THE GARAGE.